SMTP (outgoing) server: mail.igb.illinois.edu SMTP port: 587 SMTP Connection Security: STARTTLS SMTP Authentication Method: Normal Password POP3 server: mail.igb.illinois.edu POP3 port: 995 POP3 Connection Security: SSL/TLS POP3 Authentication Method: Normal Password IMAP server: mail.igb.illinois.edu IMAP port: 993 IMAP Connection Security: SSL/TLS IMAP Authentication Method: Normal Passowrd UOFI Address Book: LDAP Hostname: ldap.uiuc.edu LDAP Base DN: dc=uiuc,dc=edu LDAP Port number: 389
Enable Vacation Message
Enable Spam Filtering
To access WebMail go to http://mail.igb.illinois.edu. You will need to use your IGB username and password.
Thunderbird EMail Client Setup
The first time that you use Thunderbird, you will need to configure it to send/receive your mail. You will probably get a screen like this:
- If this is the first time opening Thunderbird, the Wizard will start automatically. If not, Click "Create a new account" in the main window.
- The Mail Account Setup screen will show. Please enter the required information.
- Your Full Name
- Your email address. It will be netID@igb.illinois.edu.
- Your IGB password.
- Click "Continue".
- At the next screen. Select if you want to use IMAP or POP3 for checking your mail.
- IMAP leaves the mail on the mail server. Thus many mail clients are able to see the same emails.
- POP3 downloads the mail from the mail server onto your computer. This allows quicker access to your mail but is only ideal if one computer is checking the mail.
- Hit "Done" to finish setting up your email
Additional settings can be set in Tools -> Options such as:
- General: for setting up for Thunderbird will notify you when you get new mail
- Security -> Junk: for setting up Junk Mail filters
- Message Filters can be set under Tools -> Message Filters
Setting up UIUC Address Book
- If you want to be able to use ldap in Thunderbird, you need to set it up in Options. To get to the ldap settings, click Tools -> Options -> Composition -> Addressing:
- Check the box next to Directory Server and click on "Edit Directories"
- When a window pops up, click "Add"
- A Directory Server Properties window will show up. Fill the information as follows:
- Click OK to add the ldap to your list and click okay to go back to the options window.
- Under the drop down, select "UIUC LDAP". Your options window should look like this: